To help people get started with their short-term rental and vacation rental business licence applications, City of Powell River staff will be available at a drop-in event to provide information about bylaw changes, including answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
Short-term rentals, such as Airbnb, the most recognized name in the short-term rental industry, are now allowed in certain zones in the city.
Frequently asked questions include:
· Will an inspection be required?
· What if I have a suite, but it’s not a legal suite yet?
· What happens if I move?
· Is there a limit on the number of guests who can stay?
· How much parking do I need to provide?
· Why are only 10 vacation rental licences available?
· Do I have to pay sales tax?
· Can renters also Airbnb their home?
Through the allowance of short-term rentals, it is hoped the bylaw will help alleviate the stress on Powell River’s shortage of vacation accommodation, while at the same time, not negatively impacting long-term rental vacancy.
The drop-in event will be held from 4 to 6 pm on Wednesday, May 22, in the Arbutus Room at Powell River Recreation Complex.