Skip to content

Vancouver man gets 30 months in jail for stabbing stranger in the neck

A Vancouver man who stabbed a stranger in the neck on Granville Street and was later found to have an automatic pistol and ammunition in his bedroom will spend the next 30 months in prison.
Vancouver Provincial Courthouse.

A man who pleaded guilty to stabbing another man in the neck causing severe injuries has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for aggravated assault and possession of a firearm.

George Finlay Robinson, 20, stabbed Jordan Olsen on the 900-block Granville Street on Dec. 18, 2019, Vancouver Provincial Court Judge Gregory Rideout said in his May 10 ruling, which was released on May 17.

The men were walking on the same sidewalk when Robinson asked Olsen his name. Olsen did not respond.

According to the court decision, Robinson then turned around and walked south, past Olsen, while reaching for something in his pants. He continued to ask Olsen for his name and asked Olsen to “come here” on several occasions.

Olsen did not know the man and was confused by the situation.

Suddenly, Robinson attacked, an action caught on surveillance video.

“The accused is observed making a rapid downward sweeping motion, striking Olsen in the left side of his neck,” Rideout said.

Robinson then fled.

Olsen was taken to Vancouver General Hospital in a serious but non-life-threatening condition.

An examination revealed a three-centimetres by two-centimetres laceration on the left side of his neck. Olsen was taken to surgery. It was noted that a branch of the common carotid artery was bleeding.

Olsen continued to receive medical treatment until his discharge on Dec. 27, 2019.

CCTV searches showed police Robinson getting into a taxi shortly after the attack. He was dropped off near Arbutus Street and West 34th Ave.

Police found a locked safe in his bedroom. Inside, police a .22 calibre Polymer80 automatic pistol with no serial number, a suppressor for the pistol, fifty-nine .22 long rifle cartridges, and one loaded cartridge magazine. It was determined the automatic pistol could discharge more than one projectile with one pressure of the trigger, making it a prohibited firearm.

Other items seized included a black folding knife, a half dozen cellphones, a backpack containing ammunition and a cartridge magazine.

Rideout said Robinson confessed to the assault to police: “… I ran into some guy f****n’ I ripped his line like a year ago … Instantly soon as he sees me, stops and pulls out his phone, so I’m like f**k, I got to dead this call, you know. I hit him and ran. And they got it on video and shit … but I cabbed out of it too, but they talked to the cab driver … tracking down the cab number …”

Robertson had no previous criminal record.

A pre-sentence report said Robinson has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and has had drug abuse issues that created “ an unprecedented amount of paranoia.”

In a letter, Robinson’s mother told the court her son was willing to undergo treatment.

“George has a strong, close-knit family that loves him and will provide him with balance and support to continue on his positive track,” she wrote.

The sentence is 12 months for the assault and 18 months for the firearm. They are being served consecutively.