City of Powell River Council has approved contribution and lease agreements with Powell River Council for Arts and Culture (PRCAC).
At the Thursday, October 3, council meeting, councillor CaroleAnn Leishman said there were two recommendations: to reestablish a lease agreement with PRCAC, as well as the city agreement for contributions for arts and culture grants.
Council carried a motion to approve the amended contribution agreement with PRCAC for the term January 1, 2019, through to December 31, 2020. Council also carried a motion to approve the lease agreement with PRCAC for the arts centre located above Powell River Public Library for the same time period as the contribution agreement.
Under the agreement the city would provide the organization with the following services:
• A cash grant of $25,000 to fund the council’s operations as allocated by the city in its annual budget in the fiscal year 2019.
• The amount of the cash grant from the city to fund the council’s operations will be reduced to $9,000 in 2020.
• An annual cash grant of $10,000 to be distributed by the council to eligible community organizations and projects.
• An annual grant in-kind for use of city facilities, having a value of up to $20,000 for arts, culture or heritage programs, activities or events to be distributed by the council to eligible community organizations and projects.
• An annual grant in-kind in an amount equivalent to the rent payable by the council under a lease between the city and council dated for reference January 1, 2019, for the premises located at unit 215 at 6975 Alberni Street.
• Other assistance as the city deems reasonable and appropriate.
The city originally signed a lease agreement with PRCAC for unit 215 on the second floor of the library building for one year (August 1, 2017, to July 31, 2018) at a flat rate of $38,000. At the time, council voted to waive the payment of the lease.