Fire crews attended to the scene of a structure fire at Texada Island Inn in Van Anda on the afternoon of Wednesday, May 25.
An emergency call went out to 911 just before 3 pm reporting that the second floor of the hotel was on fire.
When fire crews arrived the fire was spreading throughout the inn, but hotel owner Dan De Vita said that everyone made it out without injury.
“It’s just the hotel is looking pretty sad right now,” said De Vita. “The second floor is gone.”
De Vita said he suspects the fire started in the building’s wiring.
“I don’t know if it’s a total loss, but it pretty damn close,” said De Vita. “It’s a pretty bad fire.”
Crews from Gilles Bay and Van Anda volunteer fire departments were called out to the blaze and were joined by volunteers from Texada Quarrying with a large water tender.
“It’s all hands on deck here,” said De Vita. “We’ve got 25 guys on scene here.”
Residents of the area said the burnt hotel is a huge loss for the community.
"This is such a sad time for us all," said lifetime Texada resident Deniece Sulyma. "Dan and Marian [De Vita] have done so much for Texada, far more than most people know. I'm so heartbroken. This hotel was the hub of Texada."