Five young athletes have received Vancouver Island Series awards, handed out at the Powell River Breakers Track and Field club annual dinner held recently.
Vancouver Island Athletics Association (VIAA) hosts seven track meets in various communities on Vancouver Island during the track season from April to June. Any athlete who competes in events in any four of the seven qualifying meets is eligible for an award. These awards are determined by a performance point table for each event and age group, which gives points for competing in an event and points for placement in the event. VIAA gives two different awards out in the series, best of four: the total points of the four best performances from four different meets, and best run, jump, throw: which totals points from the best run, best jump, and best throw during the series. The number of awards given out in each age group is determined by the number of competitors from VIAA competing in the required meets.
Receiving the awards this season were:
• Calli-Ann Abbott, who competed in the 12-year-old girls’ category and received first place in the best of four with 338 points and first place in the best run, jump, throw with 235 points.
• Kye Hernandez, who competed in the 10-year-old boys’ category and received third place in the best of four with 303 points, and first place in the best run, jump, throw with 227 points.
• Zane Hernandez, who competed in the 13-year-old boys’ category and finished third in best of four with 287 points, and second in best run, jump, throw with 188 points.
• Minna Hernandez, who competed in the 13-year-old girls’ category and finished 18th in best of four with 200 points, and 10th in best run, jump, throw with 155 points.
• Zevier Brewer, who competed in the 12-year-old boys’ category and finished 22nd in best of four with 213 points, and 17th in best run, jump, throw with 153 points.
The club congratulates the above athletes and all participants on a great 2010 season, and looks forward to working with them in 2011.