To reduce lineups, save time and make it easier to maintain physical distancing, Powell River area residents can now make an appointment online before visiting the Service BC location at 6944 Alberni Street.
According to BC Ministry of Citizens' Services, appointments can be scheduled through the mobile BC Services Card at https://appointments.servicebc.gov.bc.ca/appointment. Residents can also call Service BC at 604.485.3622.
Service BC helps people access programs and services offered by the provincial government, including income assistance, residential tenancy applications and the Affordable Childcare Benefit.
In addition to the new online appointment tool, Service BC centres regularly sanitize public and office spaces and have modified reception areas to accommodate physical distancing, according to the ministry. Masks are mandatory at all locations and will be provided for people who do not have one.
To book an appointment using the mobile BC Services Card the app must be downloaded, which takes a few minutes and can be done from a mobile device.
Additional services accessible through the mobile card include:
- Health Gateway, including COVID-19 test results as soon as they are available;
- Business registration;
- BC billing and payment services;
- Personal freedom of information requests;
- Employment and Social Development Canada's My Service Canada Account (Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan, Canada Pension Plan Disability, Employment Insurance); and
- Canada Revenue Agency's MyAccount, where individuals can view and manage personal income tax and benefit information.
People are asked to call a Service BC centre, rather than coming into an office, if:
- They are showing symptoms of COVID-19, including coughing, shortness of breath and fever;
- They have a sick family member or have been around someone who is sick; and/or
- They have not yet completed the 14-day isolation period after travelling abroad.