Skip to content

Kicking the Clutter: How to create a functional closet

Very often, we tend to justify the mess by saying, 'nobody sees it'

The clothes closet is one of the least valued areas in many homes.

Very often, we tend to justify the mess by saying, “nobody sees it.” So, it continues to be jammed from floor to ceiling with clothing, cardboard boxes, purses and shoes.

The clothing rod has been taken over by hundreds of mismatched hangers. Too many unused items on the floor can prevent you from having easy access to your clothes. Before you know it, your closet has become an uncontrollable dumping ground.

Here are some steps that might help you reach your closet-organizing bliss:

Less is more
You’ll save a huge amount of time, money and stress by thinning out your wardrobe. Start with a clean slate.

Pull out everything currently in your closet. Keep in mind, as you’re doing so, that you probably only wear 20 per cent of your clothes regularly. The other 80 per cent is clothes you’re hoping to wear when you lose weight, or the clothes you bought on impulse and now keep out of guilt.

I encourage you to love yourself and the size you are in. Get yourself a few pieces of new clothing and feel good wearing them.

Get the right tools
Start with sturdy, plastic hangers; they’re inexpensive. While you’re at the store, pick up a few skirts and pants hangers. In addition, pick up an expandable shoe rack.

Create clothing categories
If you have clothes that are badly stained and ripped and cannot be salvageable, it’s garbage. Grab a large plastic garbage bag and dump everything from your “A category” into it. Plan to do this on the same day as your garbage day.

If you have clothing, shoes, or purses you don’t wear or like, consider donating them to a local thrift shop. Don’t allow this “B category” donation to stay in your home for more than one day.

Organize keepers in your “C pile” by category of clothing (blouses, skirts, pants, suits, et cetera). When sorting, start with one category. Take one article of clothing at a time and put it on a hanger.

Do this until you’ve managed to hang all of your categories, making sure all clothing and hangers are facing the same direction.

Don’t overstuff. There should be plenty of room in your closet to get an item in or out. If there’s not, thin out your wardrobe a little more. The goal here is quality, not quantity.

Finishing touches
If you install a few hooks on an empty closet wall, you’ll be able to hang belts, umbrellas and handbags. You can pick up a clear, over-the-door shoe bag for small accessories such as scarves, socks, hats and gloves.

Congratulations! You did it. Don’t you feel great? You deserve a special reward for your hard work. Be happy. Your closet is!

Life coach Ranka Burzan owns a professional organizing company based in the qathet region and has written several books on reducing clutter and becoming more organized. For information, go to

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks